Holy rood in the National park
The Kotouč hill has a venerable pilgrimage tradition (the old people´ s custom - walking with crosses on the Ascension Day - was documented in 1523). This tradition was assumed by the Jesuits after 1624. In 1647 a wooden cross with a picture of Jesus Christ was built up on the highest peak of the Kotouč hill. There were 7 stations (7 wooden crosses) leading to this Cross. Until 1660, masoned chapels with pictures of Calvary used to stand there instead of the crosses. On the lower peak of the hill a wooden chapel was constructed in 1647. It was dedicated to the Ascension Day. At that time the Jesuits renamed Kotouč to "Olivetská mountain" and built there two pilgrimage churches. The highest peak of the southern side of Kotouč is called "Panská vyhlídka" (539 metres above the sea level) and it was right here that Mr. K. J. Maška found the relics of the heathen sanctuary at the end of the 19th century. The Jesuits also built up 14 chapels (stations of the cross leading from Štramberk via Rybí to Starý Jičín). In 1773 the Jesuits Order was abolished. Shortly after, in 1781 Joseph II. issued the Tolerationist Patent and the churches were closed 5 years later. Instead of them, a wooden cross was built up in 1786-1787, but it was demolished by storm and in 1823 substituted by a stone obelisk. But even the obelisk was hit by thunderbolt on 10th June 1833. That´s why in 1884 a bulky stone gravemound with a cross was constructed and was later transfered above the Šipka cave where it stands up to the present day.
- Northern latitude: 49° 35´ 14.94¨
- Eastern longitude: 18° 7´ 8.94¨
LAST MODIFY: uživatel č. 685 org. 132, 31.03.2004 v 09:01 hodin